Saturday, October 26, 2013

I became a Car Thief to Raise Money for my Album – Budding Musician

A man who claimed to be an aspiring musician has regaled policemen with tales about how he got involved in carjacking. Tirimisiyu Idris, 27, who claimed he was a crane mechanic and also a musician and his partner in crime, Dauda Iyanda are currently assisting men of the Oyo State Police Command in their investigations over series of car snatching that occurred in the city of Ibadan in the last couple of months. The two suspects, allegedly snatched a Toyota Camry car at gun point on Tuesday, September 3, 2013.


This informed police’s commencement of search for the car and the suspected robbers. It was reported that the search of law enforcement agents for the missing car did not take long as one of the suspects, Iyanda, was apprehended at a brothel in the city.

With information provided by Iyanda, his accomplice, Idris was also apprehended at another location in the city. In his confessional statement before investigators, Idris, 27, claimed he was a crane mechanic before his foray into robbery. He also claimed that he is a musician and his search for a financier for his planed album release led him to join the gang of robbers.

He claimed initially, he was not in the know that the man whose place they all converged on every evening was involved with the men of the underworld. “It was when I decided to release an album of my music that I was introduced to Alhaji Ibrahim. The man owns a pub where people gather and relax.

So, when I was introduced to him, he promised he would look into my case. So, I have to be going there every day. It was from there that I met Iyke that gave me the gun found on me. “But I later read in the newspapers that the police were looking for Alhaji in connection with a robbery case. That was when I told Iyke later about what I heard in the news, he laughed at me saying I should have known all the while that the Alhaji was their backer.”

Idris narrated how at another time Iyke called him on his GSM set requesting for a meeting with him. “When I met Iyke, I saw a big bag in his hand and he told me that he wanted to travel out of Ibadan and he handed over the gun to me asking that I should help him keep it,” he said.

The suspected carjacker went on to tell law enforcement agents that Iyke gave him N10, 000 for agreeing to help him keep the gun. But after intense interrogation, Idris, who admitted that he smokes marijuana, maintained that the said Alhaji used to help the gang keep their weapons. He also confessed to being part of the sale of some cars that the gang had snatched from owners before the last one that revealed their atrocities.

In his own confession, Iyanda, 30, who lives around Olunloyo area of the metropolis, claimed that the Toyota Camry car with which he was arrested at the brothel was handed over to him by one Uche, said to be a member of the gang.

Iyanda also claimed that Uche asked him where he could sell the Toyota Camry but he never knew how he came about it. But upon investigation, Iyanda reportedly confessed to being a member of the carjacking syndicate. According to Iyanda, “It is true that we were into snatching of cars which we sell to some people in Lagos. The idea was brought to me by Uche who came with one Taribo and James. They are all on the run now,” Iyanda said.

Confirming the arrest of the suspects, Oyo State police Command Public Relations Officer, Olabisi Ilobanafor, said that the suspects were apprehended following a tip-off.

According to her, the vehicle the gang snatched that led to their arrest was belonging to a senior official of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) who upon the snatching of the car, alerted law enforcement agents. According to the police image maker, investigations are still ongoing to apprehend the fleeing members of the gang after which they would be prosecuted in the court of law.

What do you think of this dude?

No comments:

Post a Comment